About the Role:
As a Technical 2nd Line NOC engineer, you will be responsible for providing second line support to our large customer base over a large product portfolio. You will be providing technical escalation to the Network Operations Team providing complex diagnostic / technical resolution and support to customers. Ensuring LAN/WAN and Security customer instigated change requests are implemented and carried out within customer SLA agreements to the customers satisfaction.
To manage customer’s networks according to SLA, prioritisation, service impact using a procedural discipline in a way that maintains network availability, security and performance. The support you provide is primarily Networking however from time to time other areas across the company will also need your assistance across a product pillars which includes Cloud, Unified Communications, Security and Compliance, Network and Infrastructure.
Develop, Implement and police configuration standards across network elements of the GCI platform.
- Respond to Customers needing assistance by performing 2nd line support diagnostics to resolve the fault and/or implement a workaround solution that meets SLA and customer needs.
- Ensure that all fault management systems are updated in a timely manner detailing levels of customer contact, diagnostics results and general direction setting in terms of resolution planning and expectations.
- To liaise with manufacturers (e.g. Cisco, Fortinet) at a technical level, as part of technical escalation and resolution of Incidents
- To create and assist within Change Management functionality as and when requested and advice of any changes that were implemented during Incident resolution process (retrospective changes).
- To be able to analyse and evaluate network monitoring tools to troubleshoot and resolve complex networking issues.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge in relation to Managed Service Customers, sites and equipment, providing prompt and accurate information, advice and technical guidance to NOC Technicians, Field engineers, TAC Engineers, Third party service providers and other colleagues.
- Contribute to the overall improvement of the NOC Network Managed Service through the identification and championing of new ideas and better ways of working for the operations department in whole.
- Work closely with 3rd Line technical specialists to ensure the right level of support is passed across the operations department.
- To provide on-call support to the NOC teams, to provide remote and field support where it becomes an operational requirement. Out of hours change requests and investigational work may also be a requirement.
- Work with Network Specialists to create bespoke standard reports for specific customer requirements.
- Maintenance of KPI information.
- Experience of working with a helpdesk or ticketing system such as Autotask.
- Demonstrable experience in Network Management tools specifically Solarwinds.
- Networking software tools such as Wireshark, Putty, and Iperf etc.
- Understanding and technical knowledge of Cisco devices, WAN/LAN networks, Routing Protocols, Switching, Wireless, MPLS, DSL, 7 Layer model and other network technologies.
- Technical Knowledge of Security Solutions and IP voice solutions.
- Information security and data protection knowledge.
- Good understanding of ITIL V3 framework and processes.
- CISCO Experience preferably CCNA, minimum of CCENT, working towards CCNP
- Routinely resolve complex networking problems both hardware and software.
- Other formal qualification in telecoms/networking are desirable.
- Experience of delivery to ISO standards
- Working knowledge of Cisco/Fortigate /Juniper CLI.
- Excellent technical knowledge on networking technologies such as routing, switching and security.
- CISCO Product knowledge, preferably CCNA certified with CCNET certification being essential.
- A working knowledge on Firewall products preferable Fortinet products.
- 1st line NOC and field experience is desirable.
- Must have excellent telephone manner & to be able to explain complex technical diagnosis over the telephone in easy to understand
- Experience of working in an ISO 27001/ITIL environment.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to adapt style and approach.
- Collaborates effectively to ensure delivery of mutual objectives
- Able to use own judgement to assess levels of risk.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to plan into the future
- The ability to work in a pressurised environment, multi-tasking while still paying attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Takes accountability and ownership of tasks and problems and seeks to overcome obstacles and challenges
- Provides innovative and creative solutions
In return GCI can offer you a competitive salary and benefits package. The latter includes bonus, 22 days’ holiday, rising to 25 days after 2 years plus bank holidays, Westfield Health care cover, childcare vouchers, retail discount partnership, and a monthly employee recognition scheme.