- The problem—less than 50% of all organisations have a business continuity plan (please note - this is different from having a backup strategy). Of those who do, 43% don’t carry out annual tests to maintain it.
- The cause—the main causes of ICT disaster, according to a 2010 survey, fall into three areas of power, communications and hardware. These 3 areas can all affect your site’s wider IT provision.
- The solution—be prepared. GCI are ready to tackle all your challenges and can come up with a bespoke Business Continuity Solution for your company.
- What is your desired Recovery Time Objective (RTO)?
In other words - in the event of a disaster, how quickly do you need to be back up and running?
For example, if your business would lose thousands of pounds if your email server went down for just 30 minutes, you need to consider investing in an application like hosted Exchange coupled with a lease line or possibly a high-availability solution that you can failover to in the event of such a disaster. This will give you an optimal RTO.
- What is your desired Recovery Point Objective (RPO)?
Again, in other words - what is the cut-off point in terms of the amount of data you can afford to lose in order to restore and recover to a certain point in time?
In the event of a site disaster, if you can’t afford to lose a days’ worth of data, then we would recommend you move away from a traditional nightly backup method such as tape. The previous night's tape wouldn’t include the current day’s data, and by the time new hardware is purchased and a suitable work location chosen the data could be at least 2 or 3 days old before the business gets operational again. This would not be an optimal Recovery Point Objective.
Introducing GCI's Business Continuity Solution
We have a cost-effective business continuity solution which reflects the very best of current technologies and gives an industry-leading RTO and RPO.
- The solution is fully-managed just like our IT support, meaning it’s looked after and monitored by GCI so you don't need to worry about the robustness and resilience of your data and IT systems.
- The solution is a hardware server that is installed locally on-site.
- The on-site server takes snapshots of your servers and stores them locally for rapid data recovery.
- These snapshots can be virtualised swiftly to quickly create virtual standby servers in the event of primary server failure.
- The solution comes with a monthly service that incorporates off-site secure data centre storage, meaning your data is always synced to the cloud. In the event of a site disaster we can use the off-site images to spin up your servers virtually in the cloud so the business can continue to function.
To contact the Disaster & Revovery Team please email email@example.com