About the Role:
GCI is one of the largest privately owned managed service providers in the UK, with exciting plans for the future. Operating our own MPLS backbone, we are looking for a core network engineer to join our team and help drive us towards our goals of growth, scalability and efficiency.
This post will be responsible for the maintenance, design and day-to-day operation of the GCI Core network. Duties will include integration of acquisition networks, consolidation of existing infrastructure, identifying and implementing efficiencies, designing and maintaining standards and models, planning, testing and deploying new features and technologies.
A proactive approach to network maintenance is essential ensuring potential problems are resolved before they become service affecting.
A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a Network design role, or senior 3rd line support role with at least 2 year’s recent experience of backbone technologies
- Provide technical authority on core network design, solution architecture, integration and migration strategies
- Maintain awareness of and familiarity with trends and new developments in technologies used in, or appropriate for use in, networks and infrastructure
- Monitor performance, capacity, and availability of the network on an ongoing basis. Recommend improvements in technologies and practices to increase these metrics
- Provide technical input into our new product development and introduction
- Providing a 3rd line support function for escalations or major incidents
- Maintaining existing network standards and models and developing new standards and models where necessary, to reduce service impact and improve time to restore and service disruption
- Mentoring junior team members and support teams developing their understanding of our network and the services we provide
- Although based in our Salford office, there will be a small element of travel as business needs dictate for maintenance, faults, etc
- A flexible approach to working is required which may involve evenings, weekends and holiday periods
- Accountable for Core network incident and problem management
- Preparing and scheduling Planned Engineering Works as part of the Change Advisory Board (CAB) following GCI change management process
- Strong hands on experience with Juniper and Cisco core and edge devices in a Service Provider environment
- Service Provider Certification from Cisco or Juniper to a Professional level is essential
- Experience and knowledge of network components and infrastructure
- Experience of core/backbone MPLS networks and MPLS VPN environments, both Layer 3 and Layer 2
- Intimate knowledge of backbone routing including, BGP, OSPF, ISIS, MPLS, LDP and RSVP
- Experience of network security including fundamentals and best practices
- Experience of integrating and consolidating large-scale network infrastructures
- Will have defined and owned components of network infrastructure solutions and will have taken responsibility for high-level design work within major infrastructure projects
- Demonstrable experience of low-level design in core networks and strong hands-on experience of implementation
- Can demonstrate an ability to assess risk and negotiate on issues such as cost, quality and timescales
- Experience of working in ITIL and ISO27001 environments would be desirable
Building Relationships & Networking
- Builds credibility, respect and trust with others through depth of understanding and knowledge.
- Makes a real effort to understand others roles and objectives.
- Considerate and respectful towards others.
- Communicates regularly with key individuals to ensure continuity of information.
- Collaborates effectively to ensure delivery of mutual objectives.
- Builds co-operative and positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Uses judgment to assess levels of risk.
- Fair and objective approach.
- Perceptive and understands others.
- Driven by organisational values.
- Shares knowledge and information with others.
- Open and transparent.
- Embraces and absorbs new information and uses results effectively.
- Consults widely.
- Generates ideas to improve processes and create efficiencies.
- Deals with ambiguity.
- Prepared to challenge information and bureaucracy.
- Able to adapt style of communication and approach.
- Communicates clearly and concisely.
- Maintains staff awareness of strategic direction and goals.
- Ability to thrive in environments of complexity and change.
- Plans ahead and manages time effectively.
- Takes accountability and ownership of tasks and problems and seeks to overcome obstacles and challenges.
- Meets milestones and is committed to achieving a positive result.
- Provides creative and innovative solutions.
- Able to assess situations, analyse information and make informed decisions.
Commitment, Motivation & Drive
- Promotes diversity and equal opportunities and displays respect and loyalty to colleagues and the organisation.
- Motivated and proud to be part of the company.
- Takes pride in personal development.
- Professional and polite manner.
- Approachable and welcoming.
- Positive attitude and optimistic.
- Resilient, calm and in control of emotions.
- Honest, open to challenge and prepared to take advice.