About the Role
Reporting to the Head of Service, the IT Operations Engineer will be responsible for supporting the Cloud Services offered to GCI’s Partners and Customers.
The IT Operations Engineer will also be expected to successfully manage and resolve escalated cases from other support teams, to troubleshoot system issues and escalate if required to the appropriate teams or third parties.
This role will demand a high degree of commitment to ensuring the uptime, performance and availability of GCI services, in order meet or exceed our commitment to the customer. This will be achieved through operational support, maintenance, monitoring and security of Hyper-V, Windows Server/Datacentre, virtual networking, virtual storage and backup. Some exposure to managing physical hardware of storage and compute may be required from time to time.
This is a highly operational role, focusing on proactive operational activities and responsibility of ensuring incidents are managed to resolution whilst keeping the partner or customer informed at all times.
The role is scheduled on a four shift rotation between the hours of 8am and 6pm and contains an on call rota.
The IT Operations Engineer will provide day to day support across the range of Cloud and UC services provided by GCI, maintaining Service Level Agreements (SLA’s), Operational Level Agreements (OLA’s) and attaining Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s). The role will ensure all incidents reported outside core operational hours are investigated and dealt with by engineers through on call rotation. All customer virtual machines and customer platforms will be critical and security patched at least every 3 months. Operational processes and procedures will be maintained and kept up to date with inefficiencies identified and improvement initiatives put in place.
Key Responsibility Area
- Achieve and maintain availability and performance SLAs on systems and services.
- Actively monitor systems through Microsoft Systems Centre Operations Manager (SCOM), Solorwinds and Highlight (or other tools). Investigate, resolve or escalate issues and trends in system alerting to minimise systems downtime.
- Provide out of hours support as part of the on-call systems engineer rota.
- Perform daily/weekly/monthly operational checks and maintenance to proactively ensure the high availability of GCI services.
- Perform best practice management and configuration of systems, services using appropriate tools, techniques and process.
- Undertake Anti-virus, application and systems patching to mitigate security risks to service
- Complete system backups to ensure disaster recovery capability and protection of customer data
- Conduct root cause analysis of issues within problem management to minimise the impact of known errors, repeat incidents and monitoring trends
- Measurement and planning of systems capacity for best performance and efficiency (in conjunction with the Hosting Infrastructure team)
- Adhere to the change control process, seeking authorisation for any changes that may impact systems availability, security or capacity in advance of the change. Where changes are made for service restoration, complete retrospective changes to ensure accurate records are kept for all services.
- Actively and professionally support customers through resolution of escalated support cases to meet defined SLAs / KPI’s, to include:
-Investigation and troubleshooting of customer issues where assigned
-Accurate case updates with the required level of detail in the case logging system
-Prompt escalation of cases to other resolution teams when appropriate
- Work to and aid in the development of the technical standards, processes and working practices of the team.
- Provide technical inputs and data for monthly service reporting and communications as requested.
- Make recommendations to improve systems with an emphasis on availability, capacity and security.
- Understand data and virtual machine backup technologies and associated restoration.
- Act to develop a broad knowledge of all GCI products in the service portfolio.
- Support colleagues, peers and less experienced members of the team through documentation, coaching and knowledge sharing.
- Protect all information relating to GCI, the client, partner or internal customer at all times ensuring the application of DPA where required.
- Adhere to all elements of the Company’s ISO standards and business policies.
- Demonstrate confidentiality and sensitivity in dealing with all issues of business, especially when handling sensitive situations and information.
Qualification/Certificate Needed – Essential
- MCSA Windows Server 2008/2012 (or working towards). Demonstrable commercial experience with Microsoft Windows technologies also accepted.
Qualification/Certificate Needed – Desirable
- Degree level education/equivalent experience.
- MCSE Server/Private Cloud.
Previous Experience – Essential
- Commercial experience supporting Microsoft Infrastructure technologies (e.g. Hyper-V, SharePoint, Windows Server, SQL), including a working knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory.
- Build of virtual machine environments.
- Competent level of technical ability with a solid grounding in IT principles, in particular IT operations (managing systems monitoring and maintenance e.g. Systems Centre/Solorwinds).
- Experience of creating standard documentation including technical project, architecture and processes.
- Experience of directly supporting and managing customers; Understands the impact of Customer Service on Customer Satisfaction (Incident, Problem & Change).
- Competent technical problem solving ability and effective time-management practices (for example, simple project management).
- Foundation understanding of networking technologies and principles, for example, routers, VLANs, VPNs and firewalls.
- Knowledge and active use of key ITIL principles (Incident, Problem, Change & Configuration).
- Powershell fundamentals.
- Knowledge of standard IT security principles within a server environment.
Previous Experience – Desirable
- Advance PowerShell experience an advantage.
- Commercial experience of supporting services on VMware.
- Time management under pressure – delivery of deadlines by effectively managing priorities and workload.
- Technical project delivery.
- Linux experience, particularly, CentOS and Ubuntu.
- Technical build experience in Microsoft SharePoint, Exchange, SQL, Skype for Business or CRM.
- Knowledge of Hosting/Cloud services.
- Maintaining security to IL3 government standards.
- BPSS+ and Security clearance.
ISO Responsibility – Essential
- Adhere to all elements of the Company’s ISO standards and business policies relevant to the team.
- Protect the confidentiality of all relating ISO standards and documentation when representing the Company in an internal or external environment.
- Maintain the Company’s high standards with regards to protecting the environment and ensuring quality of delivery.
Department Responsibility – Employee/Team
- Mentors and motivates others.
- Responsible for team actions and output levels.
Mandatory Key Competencies
- Behaves ethically, applying the GCI Values, attitudes and beliefs.
- Shows moral courage to do the right thing even in the face of criticism
- Promotes fairness and equality in the workplace, and maintains high standards both personally and in others
- Supports colleagues in their work to the best of their abilities, skills, knowledge and experience
Speaks well of GCI, even when not in agreement with all company policies and decisions
Competencies – Values
Confidence, Coaching and Development of Self and Others
- Demonstrates strong belief in own ability and seeks opportunities to do new things and new responsibilities
- Facilitates discussion of improvement strategies. Encourages others to learn and to develop themselves
- Develops on the job experiences, projects and assignments to foster individual development.
- Shares credit with others as appropriate. Doesn’t dwell on blame but provides coaching to improve both ineffective and effective behaviour.
Customer Service / Management
- Has knowledge of customers’ business operations and needs
- Anticipates customer needs and meets them effectively
Personal Motivation & Results
- Consistently delivers results and exceeds expectations
- Maintains personal standards and exceeds expectations
- Accepts (and sets) challenging goals , making sustained efforts to achieve them
- Establishes and maintains internal & external relationships and influence
- Builds relationships with key effective individuals in other areas of the business
- Understands group, social and stakeholder dynamics
- Shares information within the team to improve team effectiveness
- Shows commitment to others ideas through own actions
- Actively promotes the ideas and schemes of others and continues to support others even when under pressure
- Models good teamwork by working effectively with others throughout the organisation
Dealing with Difficult People
- Listens and remains calm when taking phone calls from angry customers
- Uses assertive language with people who complain
- Empathises as appropriate to placate the caller
- Handles difficult people with tact and diplomacy
Judgment & Decision Making
- Demonstrates decisiveness / action to address issues
- Sees associations between seemingly independent problems or events
- Goes beyond immediate problems, sees route causes and different decision options
- Systematically breaks down components of a problem to reveal cause.
- Recognises connections between seemingly unrelated information
- Able to identify ineffective operations structures, processes and information systems and recommend solutions to Senior Leadership
Quality & Excellence
- Uses operational techniques and activities to fulfil the requirements of quality
- Seeks guidance from others on how to achieve quality
- Strives to get things right first time, every time
Technical Competence & Professional Excellence
- Shares knowledge or expertise with colleagues and customers
- Displays advanced knowledge in own field and provides guidance to others
- Extensive hands-on experience and knowledge of required systems as per specific job role
Adaptability and Flexibility
- Responds well to changing priorities and demonstrates personal involvement in new activities
- Works alongside others with different approaches to identify different ways of achieving results
- Successfully translates new goals into practical processes
- Speaks clearly and understandably and interacts well with others both internally and externally
- Understands that different audiences require different communication
- Uses appropriate and correct grammar, vocabulary and punctuation, succinctly without jargon
- Ensures all parties are informed when you take action that impacts others. Organises information/material logically
- Persists in the face of obstacles or rejection
- Demonstrates perseverance to achieve given objectives
- Takes action to overcome difficulties
- Continuously questions methods of work and has the confidence to suggest new ideas
- Applies ideas and models from outside own frame of reference
- Constructively contributes to continuous improvement through suggestions which avoid premature critical analysis
Accountability & Managing Expectations
- Fully understands what needs to be delivered and who else is involved
- Understands customer timeframes and negotiates to ensure realistic
- Enlists the help of others, if necessary, to ensure effective and efficient completion of tasks
Planning & Organising
- Delivers customer services on time, to spec, without adverse effects on other departments
- Is well organised and able to multi-task effectively
Act in accordance with GCIs corporate security standards.
- IS Security Policy
- HR Security Policy
- 22 days’ holiday, rising to 25 days with length of service
- Westfield Health cash plan
- Performance-based bonus
- Childcare Vouchers
- Retail discount scheme
- Monthly employee recognition scheme
- Life Assurance
GCI is one of the UK’s leading Managed Technology Service Providers, with offices from London to Glasgow. It is one of the UK’s fastest growing MSPs and provides a suite of Managed Services designed around five capability pillars: Full IT Support, Cloud, Unified Communications, Compliance & Security, and Network & Infrastructure. GCI’s services and solutions are all about influencing positive business outcomes; they are designed to address customer challenges and support mostly mid-tier, Corporate organisations on their journey through digital transformation to digital business.
GCI has almost 2 decades’ experience and the benefit of learning accrued from more than 40,000 technology deployments. Alongside its five pillar approach, which provides a quad-play capability for its customers, GCI also aspires to be synonymous with best-in-class Skype for Business Solutions, Contact Centre Solutions and GDPR Compliance Solutions. GCI has multiple Silver, Gold and Platinum Certifications including 10 Gold for Microsoft alone.