About The Role
Reporting to the IT Operations Team Leader, the IT Operations Engineer will be responsible for supporting the Cloud Services offered to GCI’s Partners and Customers.
The IT Operations Engineer will also be expected to successfully manage and resolve escalated cases from other support teams, to troubleshoot system issues and escalate if required to the appropriate teams or third parties.
This role will demand a high degree of commitment to ensuring the uptime, performance and availability of GCI services, in order meet or exceed our commitment to the customer. This will be achieved through operational
support, maintenance, monitoring and security of Hyper-V, Windows Server/Datacentre, virtual networking, virtual storage and backup. Some exposure to managing physical hardware of storage and compute may be required from time to time.
This is a highly operational role, focusing on proactive operational activities and responsibility of ensuring incidents are managed to resolution whilst keeping the partner or customer informed at all times.
Typically the role is scheduled on a two shift rotation between the hours of 8am and 6pm and contains an on call rota.
This role also requires the highest standards are achieved and maintained in accordance with all active ISO accreditations, legal requirements and customer obligations and terms and conditions are met and delivered.
This role may also include other reasonable duties, tasks and responsibilities from time to time.
- Assist in the delivery of availability SLAs on systems and services to include support of Antivirus, application and systems patching to mitigate security risks to service.
- Actively monitor systems through Microsoft Systems Centre Operations Manager (SCOM) or other tools.
- Investigate, resolve or escalate issues and trends in system alerting to minimise systems downtime.
- Adhere to the Change Control system, seeking authorisation for any changes that may impact systems availability, security or capacity in advance of the change.
- Provide out of hours support as part of the on-call systems engineer rota.
- Provide technical inputs and data for monthly service reporting and internal company communications as requested.
- Understand data and virtual machine backup technologies and associated restoration.
- Act to develop a broad knowledge of all GCI products in the service portfolio.
- Perform daily/weekly/monthly operational checks and maintenance to proactively ensure the high availability of GCI services.
- Achieve and maintain availability and performance SLAs on systems and services to include:
• Best practice management and configuration of systems and services using appropriate tools, techniques and process
• Anti-virus, application and systems patching to mitigate security risks to service
• System backups to ensure disaster recovery capability and protection of customer data
• Root cause analysis of issues within Problem Management to minimise the impact of known errors, repeat incidents and monitoring trends
• Measurement and planning of systems capacity for best performance and efficiency (in conjunction with the Hosting Infrastructure team)
• Investigate, resolve or escalate issues and trends in system alerting to minimise systems downtime
- Adhere to the Change Control system, seeking authorisation for any changes that may impact systems availability, security or capacity in advance of the change. Where changes are made for service restoration, complete retrospective changes to ensure accurate records are kept for all services.
- Actively and professionally support customers through resolution of escalated support cases to meet defined SLAs / KPI’s, to include:
• Investigation and troubleshooting of customer issues where assigned
• Accurate case updates with the required level of detail in the case logging system
• Prompt escalation of cases to other resolution teams when appropriate
- Adhere to all elements of the Company’s ISO standards and business policies relevant to the IT Operations team.
- Work to and aid in the development of the technical standards, processes and working practices of the team.
- Make recommendations to improve systems with an emphasis on availability, capacity and security.
- Support colleagues, peers and less experienced members of the team through documentation, coaching and knowledge sharing.
- Protect all information relating to GCI, the client, partner or internal customer at all times ensuring the application of DPA where required.
- Adhere to all elements of the Company’s ISO standards and business policies.
- Demonstrate confidentiality and sensitivity in dealing with all issues of business, especially when handling sensitive situations and information.
- Commercial experience supporting Microsoft Infrastructure technologies (e.g. Hyper-V, SharePoint, Windows Server, SQL), including a working knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory.
- Build of virtual machine environments.
- Competent level of technical ability with a solid grounding in IT principles, in particular IT operations (managing systems monitoring and maintenance e.g. Systems Centre).
- Experience of creating standard documentation including technical project, architecture and processes.
- Experience of directly supporting and managing customers; Understands the impact of Customer Service on Customer Satisfaction (Incident, Problem & Change).
- Competent technical problem solving ability and effective time-management practices (for example, simple project management).
- Foundation understanding of networking technologies and principles, for example, routers, VLANs, VPNs and firewalls.
- Knowledge and active use of key ITIL principles (Incident, Problem, Change & Configuration).
- Powershell fundamentals.
- Knowledge of standard IT security principles within a server environment.
- Advance Powershell experience an advantage.
- Time management under pressure – delivery of deadlines by effectively managing priorities and workload.
- Technical project delivery.
- Linux experience, particularly, CentOS and Ubuntu.
- Technical build experience in Microsoft SharePoint, Exchange, SQL and/or CRM.
- Knowledge of Hosting/Cloud services.
- Maintaining security to IL3 government standards.
- Experience of delivery to ISO standards
- Mentors and motivates others
- Responsible for team actions and output levels
- Restricts unnecessary spend and reduces waste
- Strives to reduce annual budget spend
Personality And Behaviour
Understands duties and responsibilities, has necessary job knowledge, has necessary technical skills, understands company mission/values, keeps job knowledge current, is in command of critical issues.
Communicates well both verbally and in writing, creates accurate and punctual reports, shares information and ideas with others, has good listening skills, interacts well with others and uses the median appropriate for the audience.
Adapts to change, is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, and adjusts plans to meet changing needs.
Builds customer confidence, is committed to increasing customer satisfaction, sets achievable customer expectations, assumes responsibility for solving customer problems, ensures commitments to customers are met, solicits opinions and ideas from customers, responds to internal customers.
Meets all team deadlines and responsibilities, listens to others and values opinions, helps team leader to meet goals, welcomes newcomers and promotes a team atmosphere.