The UC Operations Engineer will have a specialisation in UC/Skype for Business customer solution support and troubleshooting at 2nd or 3rd Line level. They will also provide subject-matter expertise and training/mentoring to the wider team. This is a technical operations role within the IT Operations support team.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Achieve and maintain availability and performance SLAs for UC services.
- Actively monitor systems through Microsoft Systems Centre Operations Manager (SCOM), SolarWinds and Highlight (or other tools). Investigate and resolve issues and trends in system alerting to minimise systems downtime.
- Provide out-of-hours support as part of the on-call Systems Engineer rota.
- Perform daily/weekly/monthly UC operational checks and maintenance to proactively ensure the high availability of GCI’s services.
- Perform best practice management and configuration of systems and services using appropriate tools, techniques and process.
- Undertake critical and security patching to mitigate security risks to service, ensuring UC services are patched at least every 3 months and as per customer contracts.
- Conduct annual High Availability and Disaster Recovery testing for resilient customer environments.
- Conduct root-cause analysis of issues within problem management to minimise the impact of known errors, repeat incidents and monitoring trends.
- Measurement and planning of systems capacity for best performance and efficiency (in conjunction with the UC team).
- Adhere to the Change Control process, seeking authorisation for any changes that may impact systems availability, security or capacity in advance of the change. Where changes are made for service restoration, complete retrospective changes to ensure accurate records are kept for all services.
- Actively and professionally support customers through resolution of escalated support cases to meet defined SLAs/KPIs, to include:
- Investigation and troubleshooting of customer issues where assigned
- Accurate case updates with the required level of detail in the case logging system
- Work to and aid in the development of the technical standards, processes and working practices of the team.
- Support colleagues, peers and less experienced members of the team through documentation, coaching and knowledge sharing.
- Protect all information relating to GCI, the client, partner or internal customer at all times, ensuring the application of DPA where required.
- Adhere to all elements of the Company’s ISO standards and business policies.
- Demonstrate confidentiality and sensitivity in dealing with all issues of business, especially when handling sensitive situations and information.
Qualification/Certificate Needed – Essential
- Relevent Skype for Business or Lync certifications.
Qualification/Certificate Needed – Desirable
- Degree-level education/equivalent experience.
- MCSA Windows Server 2008/2012 (or working towards.
- MCSE prefereable but not essential.
Previous Experience – Essential
- Minimum 2 years experience supporting Lync or Skype for Business, troubleshooting complex user and system issues.
- Microsoft, Lync and Skype for Business deployments (on-premise, 365 and Private hosted solutions)
- Enterprise Voice and Audio/Video Conferencing/ Edge Server deployment, Mobility (SkypeShield)
- Hands-on knowledge of the Microsoft collaboration suite, including but not limited to: Lync/Skype for Business, Office 365, Teams and Exchange.
- Knowledge of underlying infrastructure, including but not limited to: Cloud IaaS, Virtualisation, VMware or Hyper-V, Storage and Backup solutions.
- Comprehensive understanding of Windows Server, SQL Server, OS, LAN/WAN/WLAN, Active Directory and DNS.
- Understanding of networking technologies and principles, e.g. routers, VLANs, VPNs, DCHP, TCP/IP, Clustering, Firewalls and Reverse Proxy.
- Advanced understanding of Skype for Business, Lync and their associated services and policies (e.g. response group services and voice policies).
- Competent level of technical ability with a solid grounding in IT principles; in particular, IT operations (managing systems monitoring and maintenance such as Systems Centre/SolarWinds).
- Experience of directly supporting and managing customers; understands the impact of Customer Service on customer satisfaction (Incident, Problem & Change).
- Understanding of SEFAutil, contact centre solutions (e.g. Enghouse, Geomant or Netcall) and call recording technologies (e.g. Verba call recording)
- Experienced with Exchange Server or Exchange Online
- Experience of working with hybrid Skype solutions
- Competent technical problem-solving ability and effective time-management practices for managing priorities and workload.
- Proficient with PowerShell commands.
- Knowledge of standard IT security principles within a server environment.
Previous Experience – Desirable
- Advanced PowerShell experience.
- Knowledge and active use of key ITIL principles (Incident, Problem, Change & Configuration).
- Device deployment and management.
- Exposure to Microsoft Cloud PBX/Telephone System.
- SBC Deployment and configuration (Sonus, AudioCodes and Acme Packet).
- Technical build experience in Microsoft Skype for Business.
- Telecoms experience.
- Experience of troubleshooting complex email environments.
- Experience of creating standard documentation including technical project, architecture and processes.
- Maintaining security to IL3 government standards.
- BPSS+ and Security clearance.
- 22 days’ holiday, rising to 25 days with length of service
- Westfield Health cash plan
- Performance-based bonus
- Childcare Vouchers
- Retail discount scheme
- Monthly employee recognition scheme
- Life Assurance